SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Why skinny jeans are dead


Recently, a Tik Tok trend went viral discussing how Gen Zs want to cancel the wear of skinny jeans, but as a Millennial, I might have to to agree with them. There is no doubt that when skinny jeans first grew popularity, they were a revelation. They accentuated the butt, elongated your legs, and were high-rise, so before you attack me, here are my reasons why. 

Yes, skinny jeans were once an outfit stable but let's be real, skinny jeans now just make me look lumpy, stuffed and overexposes my body's problem areas. Not to mention that skinny jeans have largely been non-existent on the runways for several seasons now, and no matter what I pair them with, the proportions somehow always just feel all wrong. Another factor that led to the demise of the skinny jeans is the dreaded jeggings. As soon as they started to mix the denim with too much stretch, it just became trashy. Yes, the fabric is extremely comfortable but, so are sweats. Not to mention, that the materials you find in your typical pair of skinny jeans or jeggings is unrecyclable and deeply bad for the planet. 

Now I know, I am not the only one that feels this way either. The truth is, as we get older and our bodies change, showing off our curves or wearing tight clothes is no longer a big priority. I am now in my thirties, and I worry more about feeling sexy rather than showing too much. I prefer to invest in feeling comfortable rather than being in some tight jeans. Sadly, Millennials need to move on from their skinny jeans phase and begin to buy bootcuts, straight legs, wide legs and baggy styles which are classic alternatives to swap out your skinny jeans with. 
*See examples below


Post a Comment